Petroleum Engineering Fundamentals
INSTRUCTOR: Ruben O. Caligari
DISCIPLINE: Multi-Disciplinary & Introductory
COURSE LENGTH (DAYS): 2 days
AVAILABILITY: In-House; This course is available in Spanish.
ATTEND AN UPCOMING CLASS:
Contact SCA's Training Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an In-House course.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Entry-level technical and non-technical personnel who desire an understanding of petroleum engineering principles, methods, and technologies. No previous knowledge of the subject is required.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: The concept of petroleum systems, the basic properties that control storage and flow of the fluids in the reservoir, and relevant technologies of exploration and production of oil and gas are presented in this course.
Participants will learn about the driving mechanisms, recovery factors, best practices in reservoir management, reserves definitions, and the characteristics of unconventional oil and gas developments. Principles and operational aspects of drilling and completion are analyzed with emphasis in directional drilling and hydraulic fracturing. Artificial lift methods, field fluids conditioning, surface facilities, and environmental aspects of operations are all covered.
Student participation and discussion of field examples are encouraged.
- Energy matrix, the role of hydrocarbons, and future scenarios.
- Petroleum systems and petroleum geology.
- Petroleum reservoirs: properties, energy, pressure and fluids phases behavior.
- Unconventional oil and gas.
- Drilling and completion principles and procedures.
- Production operations and production fluids conditioning.
- Engineering and industry terminology.
- Global and local context of the industry.
- Petroleum systems and elements of petroleum geology.
- Principles and technologies of petroleum exploration.
- Properties of reservoir rocks and fluids.
- Unconventional oil and gas systems: types, examples.
- Drilling principles and technologies.
- Well completion: basic operations, hydraulic fracturing.
- Artificial lift methods.
- Production operations and field conditioning of produced fluids.