Introduction to Drilling Engineering
INSTRUCTOR: Lee A. Richards, PhD, PE
DISCIPLINE: Engineering, Multi-Disciplinary & Introductory
COURSE LENGTH (DAYS): 2 Days
AVAILABILITY: Public, In-House, & Live Online
ATTEND AN UPCOMING CLASS:
Check back in periodically for updated Public course dates! To schedule an In-House course, contact SCA's Training Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Entry level drilling engineers, rig supervisors, drilling supervisors (company men), geologists, and other personnel that need to advance their knowledge into the basic theory of oil and gas well drilling and engineering.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course gives students an overview of well drilling and an introduction to the principles that govern operation margins for land drilling. It is designed to give insight into how the rig operates and the logistics of carrying out operations on a land rig to those that have little working knowledge of a drilling rig. Furthermore, participants with a high level working knowledge of the mechanics associated with drilling operations (such as senior rig personnel and field supervisors) will gain an understanding of the engineering principles associated with downhole operations.
- Understand the basic mechanical components of a modern conventional land drilling rig and their interactions throughout the drilling process.
- Gain knowledge of basic fluids used in drilling and the mechanics principles of drilling fluid flow in drill strings and annuli.
- Understand basic selection factors for choosing drillstring components and BHA design.
- Learn how commonly encountered formations effect drilling operations.
- Understand hydrostatic pressures within the wellbore during drilling operations.
- Determine safe margins for working within both fracture and pore pressure gradients.
- Understand and identify the most prevalent hole problems encountered while drilling.
- Gain knowledge in basic bit selection and operating parameters including dull grading and wear characteristics.
- Calculate pressures throughout the wellbore in all situations encountered during drilling.
- Interpret how pressures effect successful wellbore completion.
- Rotary drilling components and their functions
- Wellbore design and geometry
- Drillstring design and geometry
- Drill bit selection
- Drilling hydraulics
- Well control operations