AVO, Inversion and Attributes: Principles and Applications
INSTRUCTOR: James J. Willis, PhD
COURSE LENGTH (DAYS): 5 Days
AVAILABILITY: Public & In-House
ATTEND AN UPCOMING CLASS:
Check back in periodically for updated Public and Live Online course dates! To schedule an In-House course, contact SCA's Training Department at email@example.com.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists, reservoir engineers, and exploration/production managers.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course provides an understanding of the evolving role of seismic petrophysics through the use of amplitude variations with offset or angle (AVO/AVA), attributes, and inversion techniques. Understanding rock physics and the behavior of the propagating seismic waves represents an integral part of the course, especially in the context of specific applications including enhanced seismic interpretation, rock and fluid characterization, including hydrocarbon identification and quantification, fracture identification, and stress/geomechanical analysis. Course concepts are enhanced by numerous practical exercises and case studies.
PLEASE NOTE: PARTICIPANTS MUST BRING THEIR OWN LAPTOP FOR CLASS.
- Understand the fundamentals of seismic wave propagation and specific attributes of seismic measurements toward enhanced interpretation and petrophysics.
- Learn the pros and cons of various attributes in various facets of investigation, including stratigraphy/sedimentology, structural geology and geomechanics, and seismic petrophysics.
- Learn how to determine elastic properties from AVO/AVA analysis for fluid and lithologic discrimination.
- Learn how to integrate well data through seismic inversion techniques.
- Understand the role of seismic attribute analysis and related techniques in understanding risk elements from exploration, drilling and completion, and development stages.
- Interpretation exercises
Review of the Seismic Process
- Review of seismic fundamentals, including rock physics and aspects of propagating seismic waves
General Seismic Interpretation
- Review of seismic interpretation techniques
- Seismic attribute analysis, including discussion of various attribute types and multi-attribute analysis.
- An in-depth investigation into amplitude versus offset (angel) analysis, including fundamental principles, applications, and pitfalls.
- Examination of techniques and benefits of seismic inversion, including prestack (elastic) versus poststack inversion, deterministic versus stochastic (probabilistic) inversion, and resultant products, including extraction of physical rock and fluid properties.
- Borehole seismic measurements and techniques, and integration into the seismic petrophysical investigations
Enhanced Fault Interpretation from Seismic Attributes
- Extracting more fault information from seismic data by understanding and utilizing specific attributes for enhancing structural interpretations
Seismic Anistropy Analysis
- Fracture ID – Seismic anisotropy analysis and fracture mapping from seismic data, and integration with other datasets, such as image log and core data.
- Stress Analysis from Seismic Data – Extraction of stress data for prospect seal risking, wellbore stability investigations, and reservoir behavior during production.
Reservoir Characterization and Understanding Risk
- Summary discussion of the role of seismic data and analysis in integrative studies (well, core, other datasets) to understand better the reservoir properties and behavior and risk uncertainties from exploration and prospect generation, through drilling and completion, to field development and enhanced recovery.
- Case Study 1: Reservoir Continuity or Not, Gulf of Mexico
- Case Study 2: Sand Probability, North Malay Basin
- Case Study 3: Fluid/Lithology Descrimination, Gingin West Field, Perth Basin, Australia
- Case Study 4: Fractured Basement, Muara Bulian Field, Indonesia
- Case Study 5: Structural/Stratigraphic Interpretation, Badger Basin Field, U.S. Rocky Mountains
- Case Study 6: Porosity Prediction from Seismic Data
- Case Study 7: Attribute Analysis, Deepwater Gulf of Mexico
- Numerous hands-on exercises throughout the course to enhance understanding of key concepts and topics.