Applied Seismic Interpretation Workshop
COURSE LENGTH: 3 Days
AVAILABILITY: Public, In-House, & Live Online
COURSE DESCRIPTION: In this two-day course, we review and apply the basics of seismic interpretation as related to oil and gas exploration, development and production. During the first morning, we review the geophysical principles of reflection seismology without getting deeply into the math. This includes a brief look at seismic acquisition and processing. The first afternoon focuses on tying well data to seismic lines and structural (fault) interpretation. A major exercise has you generate a time structure map in a complexly faulted area.
Day two covers three main topics: (1) mapping seismic sequence boundaries, (2) interpreting depositional environments and likely sedimentary facies, and (3) estimating ultimate recovery for a prospect or newly discovered field.
- Achieve a better understanding of uncertainty in seismic interpretation.
- Achieve a better understanding of structural aspects of seismic interpretation.
- Achieve a better understanding of stratigraphic aspects of seismic interpretation.
- Achieve a better understanding of fluid aspects of seismic interpretation.
- What generates seismic reflections?
- What happens before interpretation begins?
- Seismic displays and their limitations
- Basic seismic interpretation methods
- Relating well data to seismic data
- Extracting structural information
- Extracting stratigraphic information
- Generating time structure maps
- Predicting depositional environments & facies
- Estimating EUR (estimated ultimate recovery)