Robert 'Bob' Shoup
Bob Shoup is the Chief Geologist for Subsurface Consulting &Associates LLC (SCA) and the Director for Clastic Reservoir Systems. He is a Board Certified Petroleum Geologist with over 40 years’ experience in basin analysis, regional studies, new play generation, and prospect evaluation. Bob began his career at Shell Oil in 1980. His 19 years with Shell were followed by four years working for private oil companies before becoming an independent consultant in 2003. A recognized expert in clastic depositional environments, rift basins, and syndepositional structural systems, Bob is a proven oil finder with a 46% exploration commercial success rate and over 135 MMBOE discovered resources.
Bob is an active contributor in the professional community, currently serving as the AAPG Vice President – Regions. He is a past Chair of the House of Delegates for AAPG, Past President of AAPG’s Division of Professional Affairs (DPA), and past Secretary-Editor of the AAPG House of Delegates. He has served on numerous AAPG Committees and was Chairman of AAPG's Mentor, Membership and Student Chapter Committees. He is a recipient of AAPG’s and, the DPA’s Distinguished Service Award and was granted Honorary Life Membership in the DPA. He currently serves as an ethics lecturer for the DPA, He is a past President of Bangkok’s Chapter of the South East Asia Petroleum Exploration Society and is a lifetime member of the South East Asia Petroleum Exploration Society, the Indonesian Petroleum Association and the Malaysian Geological Society.
Bob teaches various SCA training courses in the Asia-Pacific, European, and Middle East areas, as well as in the US. Bobs courses include:
- Applied Subsurface Geological Mapping
- Effective Petroleum Systems Analysis
- Mapping & Interpreting Clastic Reservoirs
- Petroleum Resources and Reserves: An Overview of Recommended Geological Practices
- Project Management for Exploration and Development Projects
- QC Techniques for Reviewing Prospects & Acquisitions
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control Skills for Subsurface Mapping (QAQC)
- Resource Assessment and Risk and Uncertainty Management