DISCIPLINE: Geoscience, Engineering, Multi-Disciplinary & Introductory
COURSE LENGTH: 1 Day
AVAILABILITY: Public, In-House, & Live Online
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This commercial, technical briefing and mini course aims to accelerate and elevate understanding of the landscape, foundational elements and historical context of carbon capture and sequestration in the Gulf Coast Region. Attending the briefing will enable understanding of the wide range of issues encompassing the “CCUS Maze”, providing grounding on both commercial and technical aspects of sequestration during this energy transition.
All system components from emissions, pipelines, wells and subsurface are integrated to enable full life cycle evaluations. A holistic integrated geo-technical, petroleum systems based commercial approach is utilized.
Topics covered include providing historical context on what the industry has already learned and have confidence with for carbon capture. Injection storage areas, characterizing sources and the injection capacity needs are outlined. The classification of storage resources, application of tax credits, regulatory requirements and tackling full life cycle economics are addressed.
- Develop appreciation for the wide range of CCUS issues encompassing the process, emissions, storage possibilities, storage management, transport, regulatory, public policy, value chain, technology challenges and full life cycle evaluations.
- Understand drivers behind recently announced major projects in the Gulf Coast Region.
- Understand historical context and key industry learnings.
- Explore key areas of North America for CO2 flooding and miscible gas injection.
- Develop geologic understanding of saline aquifer storage potential.
- Understand characterization of emissions for the Gulf Coast Region.
- Overview of regulatory Challenges for injection well permitting.
- Storage Management Classification highlights with key commercial relevance.
- Section 45Q tax credits updates and application for project economics.
- Understand Carbon capture cost ranges.
- Navigating CCUS Introduction
- Objectives: A fresh perspective
- Cutting through the CCUS Chaos
- Dealing with the CCUS maze
- Industry Learning with CO2 and miscible gas injection
- Injection possibilities for Gulf Coast area
- Saline aquifer carbon storage
- CCUS injection capacity needs
- Regulatory challenges
- Storage classification system
- 45Q tax credit
- Full life cycle economics
- Recent projects
- Discussions on key issues
- Next Steps