Practical Interpretation of Open Hole Logs
May 6 @ 8:00 am - May 10 @ 5:00 pm CDT$3775
INSTRUCTOR: Robert ‘Bob’ Barba
DISCIPLINE: Engineering, Formation Evaluation
COURSE LENGTH (DAYS): 5 Days
AVAILABILITY: Public & In-House
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Reservoir engineers, petroleum engineers, production engineers, geologists, geophysicists, managers, independent operators, marketing personnel and anyone who needs a practical understanding of open hole log interpretation.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course requires no prior knowledge of logs or log interpretation. Attendees will acquire understanding and basic interpretation techniques needed to interpret open hole well logs. Both quick-look qualitative interpretations and more rigorous quantitative interpretations are covered. The course is generic in technical scope, no specific software is used. Equations are solved by hand with a calculator. Both the theory and practice of practical, applied interpretation are covered as well as practical advice, applied exercises, discussions and the study of actual logs. The accompanying manual provides a useful reference for attendees to use after the conclusion of the course.
A LAPTOP IS REQUIRED WITH MICROSOFT EXCEL AND ADOBE INSTALLED.
- Determination of main lithologies and volumes of each.
- Calculation of porosity.
- Detection of hydrocarbons, and quantification.
- Learn systematic log interpretation procedure & real world practicalities.
- Uses and limitations of main specialty logging tools.
- What is open hole well logging?
- Basic rock properties
- Well and wellbore environments
- Lithology indicators and volume of shale
- Porosity logs
- Resistivity logs
- Quick-look (qualitative) interpretation
- Quantitative interpretation: Water saturation calculations
- How to run logs
- Real world practicalities of interpretation
- Class interpretation of actual field logs
REGISTRATION should be made at least one month before the start of a course. It is recommended that participants register early due to limited seating. However, we will accept paid registrations up to the last business day before the class, provided there are seats available. Registrants will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of registration and will receive complete venue information two weeks prior to the first day of class.
As a reminder: your seat in a course is not confirmed until payment is received.