Deepwater Deposits Field Course (Arkansas – Oklahoma)
October 23 8:00 AM - October 27 5:00 PM CDT$5,850.00
DISCIPLINE: Field Courses
COURSE LENGTH (DAYS): 5 Days (October 23-27, 2023)
AVAILABILITY: Public & In-House
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Exploration and development geologists, engineers, geophysicists and managers desiring hands-on turbidite experience.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This field course examines the various turbidite elements in an up-dip to down-dip depositional profile of Jackfork Group strata across the Morrowan Ouachita Basin of Arkansas. The three-day trip visits outcrops of submarine slope canyon fill, submarine slope and basin channel fill, basin floor sheet sandstones and rare leveed-channel complexes. Outcrops are seen in remarkable dam and quarry exposures. In one area, a 3-D geologic model has been completed and this outcrop has undergone reservoir simulation using the Eclipse™ modeling software. At each outcrop, measured stratigraphic sections, outcrop gamma ray logs and (in some cases) ground-penetrating radar examples are provided, which tie outcrop observations to analog subsurface reservoir features. Unique depositional features and inferred processes are discussed. The Jackfork Group is widely considered to be an outcrop analog to many deepwater (turbidite) reservoirs worldwide.
- Examination and discussion of various rock types of Pennsylvanian Jackfork Group
- Up-dip canyon fill, Big Rock Quarry, Arkansas
- Slope channel-fill, Pinnacle Mountain State Park, Arkansas
- Sheet- and channel-fill sandstones and leveed channel facies in various outcrops and quarries, DeGray Lake State
- Park/Hollywood area, Arkansas 3-D geologic model for simulation
- Channel-fill sandstones, Murfreesboro, Arkansas
- Sheet and channel-fill sandstones, eastern Oklahoma as related to the Jackfork gas play
- Origin of anomalous porous and permeable zones
REGISTRATION should be made at least one month before the start of a course. It is recommended that participants register early due to limited seating. However, we will accept paid registrations up to the last business day before the class, provided there are seats available. Registrants will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of registration and will receive complete venue information two weeks prior to the first day of class.
As a reminder: your seat in a course is not confirmed until payment is received.
DOWNLOAD THE 2023 COURSE CALENDAR