- This event has passed.
Basic Petroleum Engineering for Non-Engineers
May 25 8:00 AM - May 26 5:00 PM CDT$2,125.00
DISCIPLINE: Multi-Disciplinary & Introductory
COURSE LENGTH: 2 Days (May 25-26, 2023)
AVAILABILITY: Public, In-House, & Live Online
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Geoscientists, geotechs, engineering techs, landmen, attorneys, financial and accounting managers, support professionals, and other non-technical personnel who require a basic understanding of petroleum engineering.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This two-day course describes the main aspects of petroleum engineering with the different engineering functions of the petroleum business broken down into a discussion of each discipline, with an emphasis on what a reservoir engineer does, what data is required, where it is obtained and how it affects the analysis of the reservoir. Discussions include volumetric parameters, hydrocarbon characteristics, volumetric calculations, recovery and drive mechanisms, reservoir evaluation, the difference between resources and reserves, and the basics of economic analysis (cash flow). Some basic calculations are undertaken, but complex equations and calculations are not utilized. The course is an introduction to petroleum engineering, and it is not intended to develop expertise in petroleum engineering but rather to make attendees aware of what their petroleum engineer associates do and what they need to best do their jobs.
- Understand the various petroleum engineering functions and how geoscientists interact with each.
- Obtain a basic knowledge of the physical properties of hydrocarbons and how they affect production.
- Gain an understanding of what occurs in the reservoir in relation to drive mechanisms and resulting recovery.
- Gain an understanding of the necessity for accurate reservoir characterization in resource/reserve calculations.
- Understand the basics of how to estimate oil/gas in place more accurately with volumetric calculations.
- Obtain a basic understanding of economic evaluation through the use of cash-flow.
- Petroleum engineering functions
- Drilling Engineer
- Completion Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Operations Engineer
- Facilities Engineer
- Reservoir Engineer
- Reserves Calculation Methods
- Rock and Fluid Parameters
- Volumetric Calculations
- Recovery and Drives
- Resources / Reserves
REGISTRATION should be made at least one month before the start of a course. It is recommended that participants register early due to limited seating. However, we will accept paid registrations up to the last business day before the class, provided there are seats available. Registrants will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of registration and will receive complete venue information two weeks prior to the first day of class.
As a reminder: your seat in a course is not confirmed until payment is received.
DOWNLOAD THE 2023 COURSE CALENDAR